How to Change Web Hosts With Ease
The idea of having to change web hosts does not appeal to a lot of web users. This is due to the common misconception that downtime is a given. This is not always the case and it is definitely not a reason to stay with an unsatisfactory host.
There are many valid reasons that may cause you to need to change your current web host such as; poor customer service, slow loading speeds and regular downtime. The process of changing web hosts is not as long and challenging as one may think.
What are the Benefits of Moving to a New Web Host?
A lot of information that is available about moving web hosts focuses on the negatives such as possible downtime, errors and data loss which very rarely occur. There are however a long list of benefits to moving web hosts.
The biggest benefit is that the issue(s) you’re experiencing with your current host will be resolved.
In addition, you can end up saving on costs. The hosting industry is becoming increasingly competitive which means that your new host may well offer better services for a similar or even lower price. On top of that, you can almost always get a discount when using a new hosting company. Ultimately, by changing web hosts you can get additional features with extra discounts.
6 Steps to Change Web Hosts With Ease:
Changing your web host can be done successfully in only a few steps.
Step 1: Research and choose your new host and hosting package. Sign up and create an account.
Step 2: Backup your files and database. When downloading and uploading remember to leave the structure of the website directory folders exactly as you find them.
Step 3: Transfer your files and database to your new host. Following which you should test your website on the new server.
Step 4: Once you have tested the website you can then switch your domains DNS record to your new host.
Step 5: Conduct a final check whereby you ensure no files, links etc are missing following the DNS change.
Step 6: Cancel your previous hosting account and start to enjoy your new host.
Tips on Changing Web Hosts:
We would advise that any user transferring their website themselves takes note of the following helpful tips:
- Keep a secure copy of important information such as security settings and configuration information
- If you’re concerned about the possibility of downtime then let your visitors know before you transfer. You can also implement 301 redirects.
- Ensure you have the latest backups of your site before you transfer anything. This includes databases, website files etc
- Remember to test the website once it has transferred. This will allow you to check for things such as site structure issues or broken links.
- Emails don’t usually transfer. But they can be archived from the old host by making a POP3 connection to each email address that you have. In order to achieve this you will most likely need to contact your old host.
- It is recommended that you don’t cancel your current hosting account until your new site has been successfully transferred. This is because DNS settings can take up to 48 hours to propagate.
What are the Other Options to Changing Web Hosts?
The six steps mentioned are not the only option you have for transferring to a new website host. The majority of website hosts will transfer your site for you. A lot, like CuroHosting, will even do this for free.
If the control panel on your old and new web host is the same they will be able to transfer you by creating a new account on your web server control panel. If this is not possible they will instead do it manually which could take a bit more time.
All you will need to do is sign up for your chosen package and give the details that your host requires. These usually include login information for your previous host such as hostname, cPanel login and FTP login details.
Regardless of the method having your web host transfer your website for you should be quick and easy without downtime or errors.
Changing Web Hosts is Easy With CuroHosting
Sometimes you may not necessarily want to change your host but you may need to for your growing requirements which mean an easy transfer process is even more important. This is regardless of whether you choose to do it yourself or request that your new host does it for you.
We offer free transfer for all new clients and we aim to avoid any unnecessary downtime.
If you have any questions on how you can transfer your website to a new host or how if you would like to change your hosting to CuroHosting please don’t hesitate to ask.